This gluten-free brown honey bread recipe and picture comes from Mike Eberhart, author of the cookbook Gluten Free & Wheat Free Gourmet Desserts.
Special Diet Notes: Gluten-Free Brown Honey Bread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg whites
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil (canola)
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- ¼ cup honey
- 1½ cups warm water (105-115°), divided
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ⅓ cup warm unsweetened apple juice (105-115°)
- 2 cups cornstarch
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- ¼ cup glutinous rice flour
- 1 cup light buckwheat flour
- ¼ cup teff flour
- 1 cup flaxseed meal
- 4 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, buckwheat kernels, or poppy seeds (for top of bread)
- In medium sized bowl (yeast mixture will expand), place ½ cup of the warm water, yeast and 2 teaspoons of sugar; stir until dissolved. Let stand for 10 minutes. Mixture will become foamy (if not, the yeast is not active and should not be used).
- In mixing bowl, combine eggs, egg whites, vegetable oil, remaining 1 cup of warm water; mix. Add honey, molasses and apple juice; mix.
- In large bowl, add dry ingredients: cornstarch, flours, flaxseed meal, Xanthan gum, and salt; stir together. Add these dry ingredients to the wet ingredients already in mixing bowl. Add yeast mixture to mixing bowl also. Mix all of this together using low speed until combined. Increase speed to high and mix for 4 minutes.
- Place dough in a round Pyrex casserole dish (size 2L - if in doubt, should hold 8 cups) which has been sprayed with cooking oil. Cover dough loosely with plastic wrap and allow dough stand for 1 hour in a warm, dry location (dough should eventually rise about 1 inch above rim of pan).
- Place in preheated 375° oven (oven rack should be set to second from bottom position) for 65 minutes (after 20 minutes, place foil over top of bread to avoid over-browning the top crust).
To create a rosemarry/garlic variation, just add the following ingredients in just before the final mixing step:
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
1 tablespoon dried chives
1 head of roasted garlic
1 teaspoon garlic powder