This beautiful loaf of gluten-free multi-grain bread comes form the well respected gluten-free author, Mike Eberhart of the Gluten Free Blog.
He recommends looking for inulin in the vitamins/supplements section of your grocer. They found their at Trader Joe’s.
Special Diet Notes: Gluten-Free Multi-Grain Bread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
- 1½ cups cornstarch
- ½ cup millet flour
- 2 cups white rice flour
- ¼ cup teff flour
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal
- ¼ cup inulin powder (Chicory Root type)
- 1½ tablespoons xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white (reserve the yolk for egg wash)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1¾ cups warm water (110-115° F)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter alternative or margarine (reserve for top of loaf)
- Place cornstarch, flours, flaxseed meal, Inulin, Xanthan gum, salt, chives, garlic or onion powder and yeast in mixing bowl; mix. Add, vinegar, sugar, honey, oil, eggs, egg white, sesame seeds and lastly the warm water; mix (slowly). Increase speed to high and beat for 4 minutes.
- Spray a standard-sized cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Spoon dough into a gallon size zip lock bag (hint: place zip lock back in upright container then spoon dough into zip lock bag). Cut one corner off the zip lock bag to form a roughly 2 inch diameter round opening in bag when dough is dispersed through it - cut the corner off diagonally, with the cut-line being about 3.5 inches long to get proper opening size).
- Gently squeeze dough through opening onto cookie sheet to form one large loaf approximately a foot long. Reshape loaf as desired (should be minor reshaping if any needed).
- Gently brush the melted butter or margarine on all exposed surfaces of the bread.
- Allow bread to sit in a warm, dry location (free of drafts) covered loosely with plastic wrap for 40 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Remove plastic wrap from bread and create egg wash by beating together, in a small bowl, the reserved egg yolk and one tablespoon of water. Gently brush the egg wash on all exposed surfaces of the bread and bake for 45 minutes (middle oven rack).
Pingback: The Sad Loss of the One Bread | The Goodness of God
Pingback: One Bread, One Body | The Goodness of God