These Fall Harvest Muffins are so good that my husband ate 5 in one day! These are some dense muffins with hearty wheat flavor. For some sneaky vegetables and a little change in flavor, swap in carrot for the apple!
Special Diet Notes: Hearty Fall Harvest Muffins
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
Note for soy-free: Some brands of rice and nut milks do contain soy lecithin. If you are interested in utilizing a completely soy free milk alternative, try brands such as Pacific Foods Almond Milk.
- 2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoon wheat germ
- ¼ cup sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup dairy-free milk beverage
- ¼ cup extra light olive oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 medium baking apple, grated
- 1 cup golden or regular raisins
- ¾ cup coarsely chopped walnuts (about 3.5 oz)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Grease bottoms of 12 muffin cups.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg, add milk through vanilla. Mix until just combined.
- Fold in grated apple, raisins, and walnuts.
- Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake until muffins are golden and tester inserted comes out clean, about 25 to 30 min.