I like these bran muffins but I wasn’t prepared for the taste when I first tried them. I had the sugary, cakey muffins they sell at work in my mind and these are definitely not that type of muffin. These are not very sweet, if you want sweeter it would probably be safe to put another 1/4 cup of maple syrup and/or another 1/4 cup or so of cranberries without having to adjust the flour in the recipe. Lorrie brought these to work and her coworkers enjoyed these immensely!
Special Diet Notes: Northwoods Bran Muffins
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, soy-free, vegetarian, and optionally nut-free.
- 1 cup dairy-free milk beverage
- ⅓ cup (2⅜ oz) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- ¾ cup (1½ oz) wheat bran
- ½ cup (1¾ oz) old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups (6½ oz) + 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour (I used 100% organic)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup (3 oz) dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven at 425° F.
- Combine the milk, oil, eggs, and maple syrup. Add the wheat bran and oats and set aside for about 15 minutes.
- In another bowl combine the flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder; whisk thoroughly. If needed, give the cranberries a rough chop so they are about the same size as raisins.
- Fold the dry ingredients and the cranberries into the soaking bran and oat mixture.
- Dish out into muffin cups and bake for about 15 minutes. These are done when a cake tester comes out cleanly.