- For a lighter product, use 1/3 cup of applesauce and 2/3 cup of oil in place of the 1 cup of oil. We recommend using full fat coconut milk for the best texture, but light coconut milk may be substituted.
- Storing this bread in saran wrap will increase the moistness.
- Dark brown sugar works well in this recipe, but light brown sugar or evaporated cane juice will do in a pinch.
Special Diet Notes: Popular Pumpkin Bread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian. Optionally nut-free.
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- ⅔ cup white sugar
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 cup vegetable or extra light olive oil
- ⅔ cup regular coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
- ⅔ cup flaked coconut or dried cranberries (optional)
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350º F (175º C). Grease two 8x4 inch loaf pans, and lightly dust with flour.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, white sugar, pumpkin puree, oil, coconut milk, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves (if using).
- Mix until all of the flour is gone.
- Fold in the nuts, flaked coconut, and/or cranberries if using.
- Pour batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cover loaves with foil tightly. Allow the loaves to steam for 10 minutes. Remove foil and turn out onto a cooling rack. Tent lightly with the foil and allow them to cool completely.