Special Diet Notes: Pumpkin Streusel Bread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
"This bread is delicious and perfect for this time of year! Because of the pumpkin, it is very moist and would do nicely as a cake as well. I actually forgot to put the streusel topping on it before baking so I toasted the topping mix separately and then added it on top before shooting the photo. I also added a sugar glaze."
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- ½ cu olive oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup dairy-free milk alternative or water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F and coat a 9X5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray or oil. We used a 9 inch cake pan! In a small bowl, combine all four topping ingredients and rub together in fingers until crumbly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, salt, sugar, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, and allspice.
- In a separate bowl, mix the pumpkin, olive oil, eggs, milk, and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and combine but do not over mix.
- Pour into the prepared pan, sprinkle the topping evenly over the surface.
- Bake some 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then remove to a cooling rack.