You won’t find red rhubarb stalks in many savory applications, as they are lip-puckering tart when eaten alone. However, when combined with a good dose of sugar, this vegetable comes alive. The rhubarb muffins recipe below was shared with us by Rebecca Joseph several years ago. Rebecca used to run a blog called The Parve Baker. Although she didn’t have time to keep her blog up, her Rhubarb Muffins will remain here for your springtime enjoyment. If the short rhubarb season passes you by, you can make these baked bites with frozen rhubarb, which is available year round.
Special Diet Notes: Rhubarb Muffins
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup sugar (can substitute your granulated sweetener of choice)
- ½ cup dairy-free buttery spread
- 1 large egg (see post above for egg-free option)
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour (can substitute part whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vanilla dairy-free milk beverage
- 2 cups rhubarb, diced small
- Preheat your oven to 400°F and grease 12 muffin cups or line them with cupcake liners (or use silicone muffin cups).
- Place the sugar and buttery spread in a mixing bowl and beat with a hand mixer to cream. Add the egg and beat until smooth.
- Place the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add half of the dry ingredients and roughly half of the milk beverage and stir to just to combine. Add the remaining dry ingredients and remaining milk beverage and stir just to combine. Do not over mix. Fold in the rhubarb to evenly distribute it.
- Dived the batter between your prepared muffin cups.
- Bake on the center rack in your oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the tops are lightly browned.
More Sweet Rhubarb Recipes
Butter-less Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble (vegan, gluten-free & optionally allergy-friendly)
Cinnamon Rhubarb Coffee Cake with Vanilla Sauce (vegan, nut-free & soy-free)
Prize-Winning Rhubarb Pecan Muffins (optionally vegan & soy-free)