Special Diet Notes: Smoked Salmon Dill Scones
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, and optionally soy-free.
- 3 cups all purpose flour, whole wheat pastry or spelt
- 2 tbsp sugar or sucanat
- 1 stick [1/2 cup] dairy-free margarine (such as Earth Balance)
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup dairy-free yogurt, or 1 cup soy milk mixed with 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup finely chopped dill.
- 1 cup finely shredded smoked salmon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the first set of ingredients with a pastry blender or two knives, till mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Mix the second set of ingredients in another bowl, and stir it into the flour mixture, mixing only until just combined.
- Roll out the dough on a very lightly floured board to ½ inch thickness.
- Cut out with a 2 inch cookie cutter or a glass.
- Transfer to a cookie sheet lined with foil.
- Bake about 15 minutes, or until puffy and lightly colored.