The recipe for this socca aka chickpea pancakes comes from Amanda Berne of the San Francisco Chronicle. She recommends serving them hot, alongside her vegan bouillabaisse, or on their own.
Special Diet Notes: Socca
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1-1/4 cups water, or as needed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Oil for pan-frying
- Mix together flour and salt. Mix water and oil in a measuring cup. Pour into flour, whisking constantly until smooth. It should be the consistency of heavy cream; thin, but not watery. Add more water if needed to thin it out.
- Heat a small nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and when it is shimmering, pour out excess. Add about ¼ cup batter to pan. Working quickly, swirl it evenly and thinly into a crepe. Cook until nicely browned on both sides, turning once.
- Remove to a plate. Eat immediately, or keep warm in an oven until ready to serve, which should be soon.