This vegan bran muffins recipe was shared with us by Olympic Dairy, back in the days when they made soy yogurt. Although they discontinued that dairy-free line, this wholesome recipe lives on and can be made with your favorite dairy-free yogurt.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Bran Muffins
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 2 cups bran
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup wheat germ
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- ½ cup pecans, chopped (omit for nut-free)
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1⅓ cups vanilla dairy-free yogurt
- ⅓ cup oil
- ⅓ cup molasses
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF and grease or line 12 large or 18 regular muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the bran, flour, wheat germ, baking soda, and salt. Add the dates, pecans (if using), and orange zest and toss lightly to separate and coat the dates.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the yogurt, oil, and molasses until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Divide the batter between your prepared muffin cups - they should fill right up to the top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until firm to the touch.