Paul England of Cookies, Etc based his crust below on the Herbed Whole Wheat Pizza with Mushrooms and Spinach on page 134-136 of the King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking: Delicious Recipes Using Nutritious Whole Grainscookbook.
Special Diet Notes: Whole Wheat Pizza Crust
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegetarian, and optionally vegan.
- 3¾ cups (15 oz.) white whole wheat flour (I used the King Arthur Organic Whole Wheat)
- 1 tablespoon + 1½ teaspoon instant yeast
- 1½ cups (12 oz) cool water
- 1 tablespoon honey or agave
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a medium bowl put 2 cups of the flour and all of the yeast. Measure out the water and add to that the honey and stir until it’s combined. Add the water-honey mixture to the flour and yeast and mix thoroughly. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit for an hour.
- After the hour, remove the plastic wrap and add in the remaining ingredients and mix. Remove the dough from the bowl and knead on a lightly floured surface for 5 minutes or so. Stop kneading when the dough is shiny and elastic yet soft. Have a baker’s bench knife handy to help if the dough sticks because you don’t want to over-flour this. Put the dough back into the bowl, cover, and let sit for another 90 minutes. After about 90 minutes the dough should have doubled in size.
- Once this second rise is done, turn the dough out onto the lightly floured surface. Divide the dough in half and form each half into a round. Cover these rounds and let them rest for another 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F (with a baking stone if that is what you use). Roll each round out to a 12-inch round and put on your pan, baking sheet, or parchment paper. Use a fork to prick the crust all over (if you look at the first picture you will see the dough puffed up; I missed this step the first time through). If you want a traditional end crust, roll up the edges. Bake the crusts individually for 10 minutes and remove from the oven.
- At this point you have 2 crusts for use. Use immediately or let cool completely and freeze. When you add your toppings and bake, bake the pizza at 425° F.