Gluten-free bread also works very well with this basic french toast recipe. Some brands of almond and rice milk do contain soy lecithin. If this is a concern for you, be sure to check the label. Also, if you use vanilla flavored milk alternative omit the vanilla extract. Serve with dairy-free butter, fruit, or some real maple syrup.
Special Diet Notes: Basic French Toast
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. Optionally nut-free and gluten-free.
- 6 thick slices bread
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup plain dairy-free milk beverage
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon oil or dairy-free butter
- Beat together egg, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and salt.
- Heat oil or dairy-free butter in a skillet over medium-high flame.
- Dunk each slice of bread in egg mixture, soaking both sides.
- Place in pan, and cook on both sides until golden.
- Serve warm with real maple syrup, dairy-free butter, or jam.