This recipe comes from Wildwood Organics, producers of many soy based, vegan products.
Special Diet Notes: Basic Scones
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 4 cups flour
- 3 tablespoon sugar or maple sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoon baking powder
- ⅔ cup dairy-free margarine
- ½ lb plain tofu (such as Wildwood)
- ⅔ cup dairy-free milk beverage
- ⅓ cup raisins (optional)
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Cut butter into dry mixture with a pastry blender or two knives until the mixture resembles coarse flour.
- Add raisins to dough if desired.
- Press tofu, then blend tofu in a food processor until smooth. Add dairy-free milk to tofu. Fold tofu mixture into the dry ingredients.
- When mixture clings together, form into a ball. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently 5 or 6 times.
- Divide dough in half. With a lightly floured rolling pin, roll one half of dough into a 7" round. Cut into 4 wedges. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Place scones 1" apart on a greased baking sheet.
- Pierce the tops of the scones with a fork, and brush with dairy-free milk. If you desire, sprinkle tops with sugar.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15-18 minutes until golden brown.