Special Diet Notes: Pork Breakfast Sausage
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, nut-free, and soy-free.
- 15 lbs pork butt - course ground (not fine ground like hamburger)
- 2 ounces kosher salt
- 1 ounce coarse ground black pepper
- 1 ounce paprika powder
- 1 ounce red pepper (the hot pepper flakes)
- 1 ounce sage (optional)
- Mix all ingredients together. A little water may need to be added to help distribute the ingredients - not more then 4 ounces or so. Use your hands like you're kneading bread to ensure all ingredients are mixed and well distributed. I always mix the ingredients at night, let it sit overnight, refrigerated, to allow the seasonings to permeate the mixture. Then make patties, or roll into wax paper if you want to freeze it. Of course you can buy casings and case your sausage, but I never went through the trouble.
- We have made delicious homemade pork sausage patties using fresh ground pork, fresh garlic, black pepper, and ground sage. Refrigerate the mixture overnight to "age" before cooking. All ingredients are "to taste" (i.e., no measured amounts provided).