Special Diet Notes: Apple Rhubarb Turnover
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
For egg-free & vegan: replace the egg yolk with coconut oil or a mixture of dairy-free milk and agave nectar.
- 2 apples, peeled , cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped rhubarb
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- half pkg (1 roll) puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk*
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. In large bowl, toss together, apples, rhubarb, sugar, flour, lemon juice and cinnamon.
- Unroll pastry onto prepared pan. Spoon apple mixture lengthwise along half of the pastry, leaving ½ inch border uncovered. Whisk egg yolk with 1 tsp water; brush some over border. Using parchment paper to lift, fold uncovered pastry over filling; with fork press edges to seal. Brush top with egg wash. Cut 4 evenly spaced 2-inch slashes on top. Sprinkle with sugar
- Bake in center of 375 degree F oven until golden and filling is tender, about 40 minutes
*Dairy-free does not encompass eggs (think dairy council, dairy farms, etc.). For egg-free recipes, look for those with egg-free or vegan in parentheses in the title.