This steel cut oatmeal recipe comes from the Idiot’s Guide to Total Nutrition Cooking. The author recommends the use of soymilk, however, soymilk tends to curdle when boiled. I made this recipe with unsweetened almond milk and the results were tasty. You may need to add more water to avoid sticking.
Special Diet Notes: Steel Cut Oatmeal with Cinnamon and Raisins
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup dairy-free milk alternative
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup Irish steel cut oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon sweetener of your choice (author recommends Splenda, I used honey)
- Place milk, water, oats, cinnamon, and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes until soft but still liquid.
- Remove from the heat and let stand.
- Mixture will thicken as it stands.
- Blend in raisins and almond extract. Sweeten to taste