I spotted this Strawberry Crepes recipe in a news article about The Whole Soy Cookbook, by Patricia Greenberg:
If you wish to make the crepes ahead of time and fill them as you need them, pile them on a plate as they are done. You can keep the crepes, covered tightly, for 3 days in the refrigerator; or you can freeze them.
Special Diet Notes: Strawberry Crepes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, soy-free, vegetarian, and optionally nut-free.
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour or additional all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon plus ½ teaspoon sugar, or to taste
- 2 large eggs, or 1 egg and 1 egg white
- ¾ to 1 cup dairy-free milk beverage or water
- 4 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus a few tsp. for pan
- 450 gr. tender apples, such as Golden Delicious, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 tablespoon strawberry jam or preserves
- ½ cup halved sliced strawberries
- Sliced strawberries in strawberry sauce (recipe below)
- Sift together both types of flour, salt and ½ teaspoon sugar. In a blender combine eggs, ¾ cup soy milk and flour mixture. Blend on high speed about 1 minute or until batter is smooth. Strain batter if it is lumpy. Cover and refrigerate about 1 hour or up to 1 day.
- Stir batter well. Gradually whisk in 2 tablespoons oil. Batter should have consistency of whipping cream. If it is too thick, gradually whisk in water, about 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Heat a crepe pan or skillet with a 15-cm. base, preferably nonstick, over medium-high heat. Sprinkle with few drops of water; when pan is hot enough, water should sizzle immediately. Brush pan lightly with oil. Remove pan from heat and quickly add 2 tablespoons batter to one edge, tilting and swirling pan until base is covered with a thin layer of batter. Immediately pour any excess batter back into bowl.
- Return pan to medium-high heat. Loosen edges of crepe with a metal spatula, discarding any pieces clinging to sides of pan. Cook until bottom browns lightly. Slide spatula under crepe and turn carefully. Cook until second side browns lightly in spots.
- Slide crepe onto a plate. Reheat pan a few seconds. Continue making crepes, stirring batter occasionally. If first crepes are too thick, whisk a teaspoon of water into batter.
- Adjust heat and add more oil to pan if necessary.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet. Add apples and saute over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until apples are tender. Add 3 tablespoons sugar and cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and stir in strawberry jam and sliced strawberries and cook over low heat for 2 minutes. Taste, and add more sugar if needed.
- Gently spread 1 tablespoon filling on each crepe and roll it up lightly or fold it in four. If you like, put the filled crepes in an oiled baking dish and keep them warm, loosely covered, in a low oven (about 150C). Serve with sliced strawberries in strawberry sauce.
- 2 cups quartered strawberries
- 1 to 3 tablespoon sugar, or to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoon strawberry jam or preserves (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, or to taste
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- In a food processor, puree quartered strawberries with 1 tablespoon sugar until smooth.
- Add jam if desired, and more sugar and lemon juice to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. At serving time, mix with sliced strawberries.