This easy tofu spinach frittata recipe was contributed by the Bittersweet Blog. If gluten and wheat are not a concern, feel free to use regular soy sauce or tamari in place of the wheat-free Tamari.
Special Diet Notes: Tofu Spinach Frittata
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 package silken tofu
- 1 tablespoon wheat-free tamari, Bragg's Liquid Aminos, or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon spicy mustard
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1½ cups cooked or frozen spinach
- ½ medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees, grease an 8 inch cake pan and set aside.
- Get out your food processor and toss in your tofu, along with all the spices. Puree so well that it makes you nervous. (I honestly thought I had overdone it and made frittata mousse, but that’s actually kind of what you’re aiming for.)
- In a small skillet, saute your onions until translucent and deliciously fragrant. Throw in the garlic, and cook for another minute or two. Remove from heat and combine with your [thawed, if originally frozen] spinach. Add to tofu mixture, and make sure all the veggie bits are evenly distributed in the tofu. Pour into the cake pan and slide into the oven for 25 - 30 minutes. Perhaps to would help to set it under the broiler for a bit to brown the top further.
- Cut into fourths, it makes 4 relatively small portions. I might suggest making a sizable side to go with it, or atleast cooking up more “Smart Bacon” than I did!