These whole wheat pancakes have an extra boost of fiber and protein, but are surprisingly fluffy. However, they do have a heartier flavor than your average short stack.
Special Diet Notes: Whole Wheat Pancakes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, and vegetarian.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup wheat germ (can sub wheat bran or ground flaxseed)
- 3 tablespoons soy flour (see Special Diet Notes above for soy-free options)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (can sub coconut sugar)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs (see Special Diet Notes above for egg-free options)
- ¼ cup non-GMO rice bran oil or your baking oil or choice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage
- Put the wheat flour, wheat germ, soy flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add eggs, oil, and vanilla to a medium mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Stir in the milk beverage.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until combined. The batter should be slightly thick.
- Preheat your griddle to 350ºF or medium heat.
- Pour ¼ cup batter per pancake onto the hot griddle. Cook until the edges look dry and the bubbles on top burst and stay open. Flip and cook 1 minute, or until golden brown.