We’re heading into chili season! And this vegan curry chili seemed like the perfect recipe to share on a Meatless Monday. It’s healthy, hearty, and relatively easy. You can whip up a pot and enjoy the leftovers for lunch, or freeze some for a busy weeknight meal.
This vegan curry chili recipe was an official entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free Recipe Contest we held a few years ago. It was created by by Josanne Kathryn.
This hearty chili is a family favorite. The creamy texture and rich flavor is a crowd pleaser and awarded me the grand prize in our annual neighborhood chili cook-off.
The original recipe post was in need of a little TLC, so I decided to fix it up and re-share it with you today.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Curry Chili
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, top food allergy-friendly, and vegetarian.
- 2 to 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large onion, diced into ¼-inch pieces
- 2 bell peppers (any color), diced into ¼-inch pieces
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and diced into small ½-inch cubes
- 2 cups vegetable broth, or more as needed
- 2 15-ounce cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon vegan green curry paste, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic power
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk beverage, or more as needed
- Cooked white or brown rice or vegan naan, to serve
- Melt the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 2 minutes. Add the bell pepper and saute for 2 more minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Place the cooked onion mixture, butternut squash cubes, and vegetable broth into a large stock pot. Stir to combine. Cover and simmer over medium heat until the squash is tender, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Add the beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, garbanzo beans, curry paste, spices, salt, and pepper, to taste, to the stock pot. Stir to combine. Cover and simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Whisk in the coconut milk beverage, and simmer, uncovered, for 20 to 30 minutes. Add more milk beverage or vegetable broth as needed to reach your desired thickness.
- Serve over cooked rice (gluten free version) or with vegan naan bread.
More Hearty Vegan Soup Recipes
Rustic Vegetable Soup with Gremolata (paleo, vegan, gluten-free & allergy-friendly)
Purple Potato Chowder (vegan, gluten-free & nut-free)
Creamy Golden Corn Soup (vegan, gluten-free & allergy-friendly)