This butternut squash pasta is like an ode to cooler weather. It is packed with warming winter vegetables, including hearty squash, cruciferous cauliflower and kale. It’s also an excellent vegan meal that is rich in plant-based protein! The recipe was submitted by Becky Timbers as a Savory entry in the BIG Snackable Recipe Contest (entries are now closed, but the winners will be announced on that post!).
Special Diet Notes: Butternut Squash Pasta with Creamy Roasted Cauliflower Sauce
For gluten-free butternut squash pasta, use gluten-free noodles as noted, but also use caution when selecting your miso.
For soy-free butternut squash pasta, choose a miso that is soy-free – yes, there are some!
For nut-free butternut squash pasta, skip the cashew cheese topper and sub coconut milk beverage for the almond beverage.
- 1 3-pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 small head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 15-ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1½ cups So Delicious Dairy Free Original Almond Milk Plus Beverage
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced (about 1½ tablespoons of lemon juice)
- 1½ tablespoon mild miso (such as chickpea)
- 1 tablespoon champagne or white wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- 16 ounces dry pasta (elbow, fusilli, or bowtie), gluten-free if needed
- 1 small bunch of kale, stems removed and sliced into strips
- ½ cup roasted and salted sunflower seeds
- 6 to 8 ounces dairy-free cashew "cheese" (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF.
- For the vegetables, place the squash cubes in a large bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, ¼ teaspoon of the salt, and ⅛ teaspoon of the black pepper. Spread the squash onto a baking sheet.
- Place the cauliflower florets in a medium bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, ¼ teaspoon of the salt, and ⅛ teaspoon of the black pepper. Spread the cauliflower onto a another baking sheet.
- Bake the squash and cauliflower for 40 to 45 minutes, stirring at least once, or until both are golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- For the white bean sauce, place all of the sauce ingredients plus 2 cups of the roasted cauliflower in a large blender. Process until very smooth, about 6 minutes, scraping sides and giving your blender a rest as needed.
- Transfer the sauce to a medium sauce pan and gently heat over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
- For the pasta, bring a large pot of water to boil and add the pasta. Cook according to package. When pasta is just about done, add the kale to the water and cook for 45 seconds. Remove from the heat and pour noodles and kale into a strainer.
- In a large bowl, combine the pasta, kale, butternut squash, roasted cauliflower sauce, and sunflower seeds. Mix until well combined and reheat as necessary. Season to taste, if needed.
- If desired, spoon each serving with a dollop of cashew cheese.