This recipe for caramel pecan rice pudding is a “dessert” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Christina Coopman. To make this dish decadent, she uses dairy-free Coconut Milk Creamer and Coconut Milk Beverage from So Delicious.
Christina says, “Sounds like a bit of a tongue twister doesn’t it? Well twist your tongue around this because it is absolutely to die for. Although I call it a pecan rice pudding, it’s not very pudding-like, more just like rice. But still oh so amazing. The caramel sauce is an extra step and optional but it really makes it in the end. Good luck on not becoming too addicted to this stuff!”
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Chocolate Caramel Pecan Rice Pudding
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. To ensure the soy-free status of this pecan rice pudding, be sure to use a margarine that is also soy-free; Earth Balance makes a couple.
- ⅓ cup rice
- 1-1/4 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ¼ cup pecans
- ¼ cup loosely packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup toasted coconut
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon dairy-free margarine
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Original Coffee Creamer
- Add all ingredients into a pot, mixing well. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover, cooking about 12 minutes or until rice is fully cooked through. Serve warm or cold, garnished with caramel, extra pecans, coconut and shaved chocolate.
- Combine water and sugar in a pot over medium low, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Bring heat up to medium high and cook for another couple minutes until sugar starts to brown. At this point whisk in coconut milk creamer, vanilla and margarine. Cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
- Keep refrigerated up to a week.