This recipe for Caribbean chicken is a “main course” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Joni Hilton. For rich rice and a creamed bean topping, she uses Coconut Milk Beverage and Creamer from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Caribbean Chicken Rice Bowl
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and tree nut-free. In fact, it’s all around allergy-friendly!
- 2 cups guava juice or nectar
- 1-3/4 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk Beverage
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked rice
- 4 grilled chicken breast fillets, frozen and thawed (may grill fresh)
- ⅓ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk Creamer
- Grated zest of 3 limes
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup bottled mango, chopped
- 1 cup bottled roasted red peppers, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- Bring guava juice and ONE CUP ONLY of the So Delicious Coconut Milk to boiling in a large sauce pan. (Reserve the other ¾ Cup) Stir in rice, cover, and reduce temperature to low. Simmer 30 minutes. Meanwhile, cut each chicken fillet into 3-4 strips and set aside.
- In a separate, smaller sauce pan over low heat, stir So Delicious Creamer, remaining Coconut Milk, lime zest, nutmeg, black pepper, and beans. Keep warm. Two minutes before rice is done, wrap chicken strips in paper towels and microwave for 2 minutes, until heated through.
- Spoon cooked rice into four bowls. Spoon coconut-bean mixture over rice, then top with chopped mango, red pepper strips, chicken slices, and cilantro.