Making your own dairy-free cheese is not only more affordable than store bought, but also more wholesome. Plus it’s easy to prepare! This vegan melty cheese has a lovely creamy texture that melts nicely into pasta or casseroles and on top of pizza or nachos. It’s versatile and incredibly delicious!
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Melty Cheese
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1-16 ounce package of silken tofu
- ½ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1 cup dairy-free milk beverage
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey or sugar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and process until very smooth. Pour the mixture into a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it becomes thick. Spice it up to serve on nachos, use it as a dip, in a casserole, or smothered on potatoes and vegetables.
Could you suggest a substitute for yeast in this recipe? The substitute need not necessarily be vegan or gluten free – I am only looking to replicate processed cheese at home using fresh vegetarian ingredients.
Also, is there an alternative to mustard in terms of flavouring here?
Hi Nal, it isn’t an easy thing to substitute and would require some experimentation. You might try a little miso (much less than 1/2 cup – start with more like a tablespoon) for that pungent flavor, but note that it will also add saltiness.
This recipe has honey in it… Honey is most definitely not vegan.
Hi Lucy, it has sugar or honey – choose vegan sugar for strict vegan.