This non-dairy Swiss style cheese recipe was adapted from www.veganchef.com
Special Diet Notes: Non-Dairy Swiss Style Cheese
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1½ cups water
- ⅓ cup agar flakes
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ⅓ cup blanched almonds
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ⅓ cup dairy-free milk beverage
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon light or mellow miso (use soy-free, if needed)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Place the water and agar flakes in a small saucepan, and simmer over low heat to thoroughly dissolve the agar flakes.
- Meanwhile, place the cashews, almonds, and oil in a blender and process for 1-2 minutes, until a smooth paste forms. S
- crape down the sides, add the remaining ingredients, and process for 1 minute.
- After the agar mixture has simmered for 5 minutes, add it to the blender, and process for an additional 2 minutes.
- Lightly oil a 3-cup mold, plastic container, or small loaf pan. Pour the cheese mixture into the mold, cover, and chill overnight.
- Un-mold the cheese and use sliced or shredded in place of commercially made cheese in your favorite recipes, or enjoy with crackers, breads, or fruit.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 7-10 days.