When Chef Julie of Navitas Naturals offered to share her Cashew Chipotle “Cheese” recipe with us, I could hardly refuse. So naturally, when she also mentioned featuring her vegan Cheesy Broccoli Bowl, well, what can I say, I just knew you would all love to see it. And see it you shall. Not only is the written recipe included in this post (see below), but Julie has also done a video demo of the Cheesy Broccoli Bowl to further entice your taste buds.
First, Julie shares a little background on the recipe, “I grew up on broccoli with cheese – my mother made it once a week. Such a delicious combo! Over the years I’ve turned her family classic into an even more eco-friendly and healthy modern dish . . . without sacrificing any of the flavor. This dairy-free and cholesterol-free version brims with calcium, iron and protein, while also complimented by all the wonderful antioxidants and polyphenols from the broccoli.”
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Cheesy Broccoli Bowl
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 teaspoon Braggs Liquid Aminos (can substitute soy sauce, wheat-free tamari, or soy-free coconut aminos)
- 2 tablespoon raw tahini
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 cups finely chopped fresh broccoli florets
- 1 or 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- water, if desired
- Stir: In a small bowl, mix the nutritional yeast, paprika, and garlic powder together. Stir in the tahini. Pour in the Braggs, lemon juice, and coconut oil and whisk thoroughly. If a thinner sauce is desired, add a little water, a tablespoon at a time.
- Combine: Put the broccoli into a larger bowl and pour sauce on top. Toss until evenly coated (for best results, use your hands!) Sprinkle top with hemp seeds and serve. Keeps refrigerated for several days.