Another smoothie recipe? Well, if there is one thing we’ve learned in testing the submissions to our most recent recipe contest, it’s that creating a good new smoothie recipe does take a little finesse. We’ve tested numerous beverages and several simply fell short, but these Cherry Blossom Smoothies were a strangely addictive delight. The recipe was submitted by Leigh-Ann Kearley as a Sippable entry in the BIG Snackable Recipe Contest (entries are now closed, but the winners will be announced on that post!).
Sweetener: I used 8 drops of pure stevia extract to sweeten, which worked out wonderfully, but I think that 1 to 2 teaspoons of honey or agave nectar or even 1 to 2 tablespoons of vanilla dairy-free protein powder would also be good sweetener options.
Chocolate Touch: Since this recipe is inspired by the popular Canadian confection known as Cherry Blossom Candy Bars, I thought it well themed to top the smoothies with shaved dairy-free chocolate. They are delicious without the added garnish, but chocolate never hurts.
Salt? I used a peanut butter that was unsalted, so I added a pinch of salt, which was a welcome addition to the flavor.
Special Diet Notes: Cherry Blossom Smoothies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian.
For peanut-free & tree nut-free cherry blossom smoothies, you can substitute sunflower seed butter for the peanut butter.
- 1 cup frozen dark sweet cherries (unsweetened)
- ½ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Vanilla Cultured Coconut Milk
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
- ¼ teaspoon coconut extract
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract or pure flavoring
- 1 packet stevia or sweetener of choice (see Alisa's Notes above)
- Ice, as needed (optional)
- Shaved dairy-free dark chocolate, for garnish (optional)
- Place the cherries, dairy-free yogurt, milk beverage, peanut butter and extracts in your blender and puree until smooth.
- Taste test, and blend in your favorite sweetener, to taste If desired. Blend in ice for a slightly thicker, icier consistency.