These fudgy black bean brownies are like a sundae on their own! They’re spiked with fresh cherries, nuts and coconut to compliment the rich, chocolaty goodness. And unlike most brownies, these are healthy enough for a sweet snack! The recipe is a Sweet entry in the BIG Snackable Recipe Contest (over $3500 in cash prizes available!) submitted by Fiona Green.
The contest is a celebration of our new FREE Snackable eBook with delicious, original Sweet, Savory and Sippable Dairy-Free Recipes. Download and enjoy it now via PDF, iTunes, Kindle, Kobo or Google Play: www.godairyfree.org/snackable-ebook
To qualify for the contest, this recipe for fudgy black bean brownies uses Coconut Milk Beverage from So Delicious Dairy Free.
Special Diet Notes: Fudgy Black Bean Brownies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free and vegetarian.
For nut-free, dairy-free fudgy black bean brownies, simply omit the pecans.
Confuse eggs with dairy? You’re not alone! See this post: Are Eggs Dairy?
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup sorghum flour*
- ½ cup cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-processed)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup frozen cherries, halved
- ½ cup pecan halves, chopped
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a food processor mix the beans, milk beverage, eggs and oil until well combined and relatively smooth. Add the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt and mix until the ingredients are well combined.
- Stir in the chopped cherries and nuts then pour into a greased 8x10-inch baking pan. Sprinklethe top with coconut flakes.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of pan comes out clean.
These brownies are made with black beans instead of flour, so you get plenty of protein, fiber and extra nutrients. The oats and pecans add even more vitamins and minerals, so you enjoy a chocolaty, decadent dessert that is nutritious.
I’ve always wanted to try a version of black bean brownies. These look superb with the cherries 🙂
This sounds so delicious!!! I finally had some success with a black bean brownie recipe so it’ll be fun to try some variations like this!
Although I’ve heard about how black beans work incredibly well in chocolate desserts, I’ve never tried it. This looks like a great way to start down that path. I don’t know where I’ll end up, but I’m pretty sure that wherever it is, I’ll be licking my lips 🙂
Would love to hear what your verdict is on black beans in chocolate desserts Laura!
Oooh, very nice! I can never have enough brownie recipes and this combo of ingredients definitely includes many of my favorites! 🙂
Brilliant! I love LOVE the ingredients going on in this brownie. Cherries, coconut, pecans… chocolate?! How amazing-er would this be if made with chocolate so delicious almond milk….??? 🙂
Fiona, you rocked this one! Great photo, too!
Ooh, you are on the money with that swap Lori! Fiona has been submitting some fun ones for sure!