These mushroom burgers are vegan and nut-free. The recipe is also very low in fat and has a wonderful flavor. The texture ends up firm on the outside, and a bit softer in the middle, much like an Amy’s Bistro Burger.
Special Diet Notes: Chicago Diner Mushroom Burgers
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
Adapted from Recipezaar and The Non-Dairy Queen
- 1 cup diced roasted red peppers or 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup diced onion
- ¼ cup soy sauce or tamari
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt to taste (optional, but a do recommend a wee bit)
- 3 cups quick or rolled oats
- 4 cups diced mushrooms (portobello, cremini, button, or a combination)
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- Bring 4 cups water, roasted red peppers or celery, onion, soy sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, and salt to a boil in a pot over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in the oats, mushrooms, and flour and cook 5 minutes more. Transfer to a bowl and chill.
- Preheat oven to 350°F; coat a baking sheet with cooking spray or line it with a silpat. Shape mixture into patties and bake on prepared baking sheet for 15 minutes. Flip and bake 10 more minutes. Cool.
- Heat grill to medium-high. place foil on grill and coat with cooking spray. Grill burgers on foil for 7 minutes per side.