Believe it or not, many sausages do contain dairy and other top allergens. But you can make your own at home! These Basic Chicken Breakfast Sausage Patties are easy, healthier, and they taste fresher.
Homemade Sausage Patty Recipe Tips
Complimentary Spices – This recipe is modestly seasoned with a hint of sage and a little spice. You can add more seasonings if you like. Some that go well include marjoram, thyme, fennel seed, ground nutmeg, or more sage. I usually avoid onion and garlic in the morning, but you might like adding a little garlic or onion powder.
Choosing Your Meat – You can use ground chicken or ground turkey. But I do recommend going for 93/7 or 90/10. Leaner meat won’t be as tender.
Special Diet Notes: Basic Chicken Breakfast Sausage Patties
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and soy-free.
- 1 pound ground chicken (can sub ground turkey)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried crushed sage
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Put the meat, salt, pepper, sage, and red pepper flakes in a medium bowl. Gently stir or work with your hands to combine.
- Cover and chill the meat for 1 hour (or overnight), to allow the flavors time to meld.
- Shape the meat into 8 small patties.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium skillet.
- Add 4 of the patties, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until golden on both sides and cooked through.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 with the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and 4 patties.