I think we all get caught with a sparse amount of fresh ingredients on hand from time to time. But with a modestly stocked pantry, you can whip up these boisterous chicken burrito salad bowls.
Hesitant on cans? I recently read that canned fruits and vegetables are picked and packed when they’re at their peak of ripeness and nutrition, sealing in both freshness and flavor – a process similar to home canning. That said, I would look for brands that are BPA-free and perhaps go even a step further with quality.
My “cantry” isn’t plentiful, but I actually have olives, corn, diced tomatoes, beans and green chilies on hand most of the time, making these chicken burrito salad bowls an easy any day meal that’s gentle on the pocketbook, too.
The recipe with photo for these chicken burrito salad bowls was shared with us by Cans Get You Cooking.
Special Diet Notes: Chicken Burrito Salad Bowl
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and generally top food allergy-friendly.
For vegan burrito salad bowls, simply swap in your favorite vegetarian, dairy-free protein. We like jackfruit, tempeh, or marinated tofu, but there are some great prepared vegan “meats”, too.
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, torn into small pieces
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (can sub millet or quinoa)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 10-ounce can chicken breast chunks, drained and flaked
- 1 10-ounce can corn kernels, drained
- 1 4.25-ounce can diced green chilies, drained
- 1 2.2-ounce can sliced ripe black olives, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Place the lettuce leaves in individual bowls. Top with the brown rice, black beans, diced tomatoes, chicken, corn, green chilies and black olives.
- Combine the lime juice and cilantro in a small bowl. Whisk in the olive oil. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salads.