Some sauces may seem off limits, but this pesto salad is easily dairy-free with the right homemade or store-bought condiment.
Perfect for potlucks, picnics, or back-to-school and work lunch boxes, this pesto salad is a light, but hearty meal. And it is a fabulous make-ahead option. In fact, it is best when made a day in advance so the flavors have time to meld. Just be sure that you add the pesto right after the potatoes cook. Warm potatoes more readily absorb the delicious dressing.
As for the pesto, which often contains cheese, use My favorite homemade and inexpensive dairy-free pesto recipe is still the Sunflower Pesto in Go Dairy Free. Another great option is this Versatile Vegan Pesto.
This pesto salad recipe with photo was shared with us by the Idaho Potato people.
Special Diet Notes & Options: Potato Pesto Salad
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, and soy-free. Make it nut-free with my recipe suggestion above.
For a vegan / vegetarian potato pesto salad omit the chicken, but add in some of your favorite vegetables. We like cooked sweet potatoes, parsnips, red bell peppers, and/or tomatoes.
- 2 pounds Idaho potatoes, well scrubbed (peeled, if desired)
- 1 pound fresh green beans, washed and trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ¾ cup prepared dairy-free pesto sauce
- 3 to 6 cups mixed salad greens (optional)
- Fill a large heavy pot with tight-fitting cover half full with water. Bring it to a boil over high heat.
- Meanwhile, cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, then cut crosswise in ½-inch slices. Add the potatoes to the boiling water, cover and return to boiling. Cook 3 minutes.
- Add the green beans to the pot with the potatoes and cook another 4 minutes. Drain the potatoes and beans and set aside. The vegetables should still be relatively firm.
- In the same pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high to high heat and cook chicken while stirring, for 6 to 8 minutes, or until meat is completely cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the heat and stir in pesto sauce. Gently stir in the potatoes and green beans, taking care not to break up vegetables.
- Serve salad warm or at room temperature on a bed of salad greens, if desired. If making ahead, chill overnight.