So many traditional dishes are naturally dairy-free, like chicken pozole soup. Sure, some may top it with cheese, but far better garnishes include chilies, cilantro, lime or even avocado.
Pozole is a Mexican stew that’s enriched with hominy, coarsely ground corn used for making grits, and usually features pork. It’s often featured at celebrations, but we think chicken pozole makes a great, nourishing weeknight meal.
This recipe with photo for chicken pozole was shared with us by Cans Get You Cooking.
Special Diet Notes: Chicken Pozole Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, and generally top food allergy-friendly.
- 3 tablespoons olive or grapeseed oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ 14.5-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 7-ounce can salsa verde
- 1 4.5-ounce can chopped green chilies
- 2 15-ounce cans hominy, drained
- 2 14-ounce cans low-sodium chicken broth
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1½ cups shredded chicken (from a cooked dairy-free rotisserie chicken)
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- ½ cup dairy-free sour cream
- Crushed tortilla chips
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Thinly sliced radishes
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and diced
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until translucent and fragrant, about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute for 3 to 4 more minutes.
- Add the coriander, cumin, and oregano and cook until slightly darkened and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, salsa verde, green chilies and cook until it just comes to a boil, about 2 minutes.
- Add the hominy and chicken broth and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for at least 10 minutes to allow flavors to develop. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the shredded chicken and cook until heated through, 3 minutes.
- To serve, divide the chicken pozole among 4 bowls and garnish as desired with the optional toppings.