Disney and Pixar’s Monsters, Inc. wants to take the scare out of produce with some fun, easy recipes. These chicken salad stuffed avocados are actually a simple light meal or snack to make any day, but you can up the fun factor by making them into “Roz Heads!”
Chicken Salad Stuffed Avocados with “Roz Head” Monsters Inc Option
This recipe was created by Dole, and I think they did a great job incorporating several healthy ingredients into this frightful consept. If it were me, I might use sprouts for the hair instead of pretzels. You could even twist a bundle of sprouts up like Roz hair, and they add some more produce nutrition!
These are great a great Halloween option, but you’ll want to assemble them just before serving, so the avocado doesn’t brown. But the recipe is also perfect for a light lunch or a hefty snack, and can be a fun project with kids.
Special Diet Notes: Chicken Salad Stuffed Avocados
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and optionally soy-free. It’s also a primarily paleo recipe, aside from the pretzel decorations.
- 1 cup cubed, cooked chicken breast
- ½ cup green grapes, halved
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- ⅓ cup plain dairy-free yogurt, mayonnaise, or vegan mayo
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1½ avocados, halved, pitted and peeled
- 6 pretzel twists (classic, whole wheat, or gluten-free)
- 18 pretzel sticks (classic, whole wheat, or gluten-free)
- 1 strawberry, sliced
- 3 dried blueberries
- In a bowl, stir together the chicken, grapes, celery, dairy-free yogurt or mayo, salt, and pepper.
- Scoop three equal portions onto serving plates. Shape each into oval.
- Top each with an upside down avocado half.
- Decorate each avocado half to resemble Roz’s face. Using a sharp paring knife, trim each pretzel twist to create horn-rimmed glasses lens by cutting off the double loop section of each pretzel twist, keeping a single loop portion, which will become one lens. Two lenses are needed per Roz Head.
- Place two pretzel lenses on each avocado to form glasses. Add pretzel stick to each side of avocado to form arms of glasses. Push four pretzel sticks into the top of each avocado to form hair. Add a strawberry slice, trimmed to look like lips for her mouth, and place blueberry on lower left side of face to form mole.