Sun-dried tomato pasta is one of my comfort foods as the weather begins to warm up, which is why I decided to re-share this recipe. We originally posted it back in early 2006, but I have updated the instructions and options.
Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta for a Fresh or Pantry-Style Meal
As is, the recipe can be made mostly from your pantry, but you can add fresh seasonal ingredients, if you have them on hand. Sauteed zucchini or summer squash are excellent additions. For a little kick of spice, I sometimes sprinkle on some crushed red pepper.
Adding chicken turns this pasta into a full lunch or dinner. But canned chickpeas are a great substitute if you are short on fresh foods or are looking for a plant-based meal option.
Special Diet Notes: Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free.
For vegan sun-dried tomato pasta, swap vegan chicken or one 15-ounce can of drained and rinsed chickpeas for the chicken. You will also want to substitute vegetable broth or a no chicken vegan broth for the chicken broth.
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1½ ounces sun dried tomatoes (not packed in oil, about 16)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces dry pasta (whole grain or gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or parsley
- Chopped olives, for garnish (optional)
- Dairy-free Parmesan, for garnish (optional)
- Combine the broth and tomatoes in a small saucepan over medium heat. Heat until hot, but not boiling. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Drain the tomatoes but reserve the broth.
- Finely chop tomatoes.
- Prepare the pasta according to the package directions.
- Place the chicken, ½ cup broth, wine, oil, salt, and pepper in a saucepan and heat gently until hot.
- When the pasta is done, drain and toss it with the chicken mixture, tomatoes, and basil.
- Serve with chopped olives and/or dairy-free Parmesan, if desired.