Are you on Team Burger or Team Burrito? You really don’t have to pick sides with Vegan Burgers and Burritos by Sophia DeSantis. This creative cookbook was just released today, and it features 75 delicious recipes, each with a mouth-watering full-color photo. In honor of Sophia’s book launch, she is sharing a fabulous sample recipe for Chipotle & Lime Vegan Burritos with us today. And I’ve got a few more book details to share.
Sophia made my life easy by supplying some of the basic details about Vegan Burgers and Burritos. There are 4 chapters, broken into 27 burgers, 26 burritos, 19 sauces, and 4 sides. All of the recipes are plant-based, gluten-free, refined-sugar free, feature whole food ingredients, and have sauce pairings. The recipes are also leveled from I to III, with most of them being fairly simple to follow – even for kids!
But what Sophia won’t tell you – she’s too modest – is that her energetic, honest personality makes this cookbook a joy to follow. She might tell you that her recipe creation skills are awesome, but I’m here to confirm it, too. Sophia is incredibly creative with recipes, but she never goes too far out there. Her recipes are kid-friendly, husband-approved, and very doable for families and busy people in general.
Here is just a small sampling of the fun and delicious recipes from Vegan Burgers and Burritos:
- Apple Sage “Sausage” Burger with Healthy Vegan Mayo
- Margarita Pizza Burger with Quick and Easy Pizza Sauce
- The All-American Burger with All-American Special Sauce
- Buffalo Wing Sliders with Vegan Ranch
- Want S’more of My Burger? with Mind-Blowing Chocolate Sauce
- Cauli Hash Brown Breakfast Pockets with World’s Best Roasted Salsa
- My Big Fat Greek Burrito with Yiayia’s Authentic Tzatziki
- It’s Game Time with Ultimate Onion Dip
- Crab Cake Po’ Boy with Tartar Sauce Extreme
- Original California Burrito with Guacamole
- Taters and Herbs
Lifestyle Photos by Chris Nelson Photography.
When Sophia offered to share a recipe from Vegan Burgers and Burritos, my first thought was to pick a burger recipe. I assumed it’s what everyone would want most. But then I realized that I wanted to try one of her burrito recipes first. And when I looked at Go Dairy Free, I also noticed that we have just one burrito recipe after all of these years! So today, we’re joining Team Burrito with Sophia’s Chipotle & Lime Vegan Burritos.
Recipe photos for the Chipotle & Lime Vegan Burritos by Sophia DeSantis of Veggies Don’t Bite.
Special Diet Notes: Chipotle & Lime Vegan Burritos
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and top food allergy-friendly.
- 1 cup (170 g) chopped red, yellow, and green bell pepper mix
- ½ cup (85 g) chopped spicy pepper of choice (jalapeño, cherry bomb, etc.)
- ½ cup (76 g) chopped red onion
- ½ cup (118 ml) low-sodium veggie broth or drizzle of oil, for sautéing
- 2 tablespoon (30 ml) fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ cups (241 g) cooked brown rice
- 1 cup (200 g) cooked or canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup (10 g) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh lime juice
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- To make the vegetables, sauté the peppers and onion in a pan over medium heat with veggie broth, lime juice, salt, and garlic powder until cooked and fragrant, about 10 to 12 minutes. You may need to add more broth if it gets too dry. The mixture is ready when the veggies are soft and almost sticky looking.
- To make the rice and beans, put the cooked rice, beans, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and chipotle powder in a bowl and stir well.
- Once everything is ready, build the burritos by filling the tortillas with the rice and beans, sautéed veggies, avocado, and shredded cabbage.
- Drizzle the cream sauce or salsa over the filling ingredients.
- To fold the burrito, fold the sides over toward the center, then roll upward to create a burrito. (Step by step photos are in the book Vegan Burgers and Burritos.)
- You can optionally grill the seam for 7 to 8 minutes until it seals and closes the burrito. You can also grill the other side to make it crisp.
This recipe is reprinted with permission from Vegan Burgers and Burritos by Sophia DeSantis, Page Street Publishing Co. 2017.