This ultra-thick, healthy chocolate banana shake recipe was shared with us by the Vegan Chef, Beverly Lynn Bennett. It is a sample from her book, The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Vegan Living. The recipe includes lots of delicious options, including swapping in carob!
Beverly released a second edition to The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Vegan Living. It includes both recipes and lifestyle information, like:
- Tips for transitioning your diet, body, and belongings to veganism in small steps.
- Easy ways to get the protein, calcium, and other nutrients the body needs.
- The benefits of raw foods and how to get more of them into the diet.
- Vegan nutrition for expectant mothers.
- How to peacefully coexist with non-vegan family members at mealtimes and holidays.
- How to stock a vegan pantry and substitute vegan ingredients in favorite recipes.
- How to be a conscious vegan consumer of food, clothing, and personal care products.
Special Diet Notes: Chocolate Banana Shake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and optionally paleo.
- 4 cups frozen bananas, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 cup dairy-free milk beverage
- 3 tablespoon cocoa or carob powder
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Let the bananas thaw for 5 minutes to soften slightly.
- Place the banana chunks, milk beverage, cocoa or carob powder, maple, and vanilla in your blender. Process for 2 to 3 minutes, or until smooth and creamy. If the mixture is too thick for your blender, you can add more milk beverage as needed.
Add crushed ice if you want a thicker, "frostier" shake.
Use almond or peppermint extract, instead of the vanilla, to vary the flavor.
Add a little nut butter or seed butter for richness.
Add in chopped cherries and chocolate chunks for a Cherry Garcia like shake
Swirl in a spoonful of caramel for some extra decadence.
Key Pantry Supplies: Chocolate Banana Shake