This ultra-thick, nutritious, and dairy-free chocolate banana shake recipe was shared with us by the Vegan Chef, Beverly Lynn Bennett many years ago. It was a sample from her book, The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Vegan Living. Today, we’re updating this recipe and post with several flavor options, from carob to “Cherry Garcia!”
Dairy-Free Chocolate Banana Shake with Various Flavor Options
Enjoy this rich, creamy, plant-based shake recipe as is, or mix it up with one of these flavorful options. They are all plant-based and optionally paleo-friendly.
- Carob Banana Shake: Substitute carob powder for the cocoa powder.
- Chocolate Banana Frosty: Add crushed ice for a frostier style shake
- Chocolate Mint Shake: Add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract, to taste.
- Rich & Nutty Chocolate Shake: Add 2 tablespoons peanut butter, nut butter, or seed butter to up the creamy factor and flavor.
- Cherry Garcia Shake: Blend or pulse in chopped pitted cherries and dairy-free chocolate chunks or chips.
- Chocolate Caramel Shake: Swirl in a spoonful of dairy-free caramel sauce for some extra decadence.
Special Diet Notes: Chocolate Banana Shake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and paleo.
- 4 cups frozen bananas, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 cup plain dairy-free milk beverage
- 3 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Let the bananas thaw for 5 minutes to soften slightly.
- Place the banana chunks, milk beverage, cocoa powder, maple, and vanilla in your blender. Process for 2 to 3 minutes, or until smooth and creamy.
- If the mixture is too thick for your blender, you can add more milk beverage as needed.
Key Pantry Supplies to Make this Recipe