This recipe for mini coffee cakes was an official entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free Recipe Contest!
Recipe By: Michelle Todd
Chocolate Chai Mini Coffee Cakes
This is a favorite recipe that I make for family and friends around the holidays.
Author: Michelle Todd
- 4 to 5 chai tea bags
- 1-3/4 cups warm vanilla coconut milk beverage
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup almond oil (could probably substitute your favorite baking oil)
- 1-1/2 cups coconut sugar or pure cane sugar
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons dairy-free coconut milk yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons dairy-free margarine
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and lightly grease small mini pans with margarine, or oil or line it with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl steep tea bags in warm milk for 5 to 10 minutes. Squeeze out bags and let milk cool.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a medium bowl beat oil and sugar until creamy. Add yogurt, vanilla and cooled chai milk. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and combine until just mixed.
- In a small bowl combine flour, brown sugar, and cocoa. Cut in margarine with your fingers or a pastry until mixture is crumbly. Add chocolate chips.
- Spread batter in mini baking pans. Sprinkle on topping and bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until cakes are set on the edges and toothpick or knife comes out clean.
I’m having a hard time finding coconut milk yogurt. Is there a substitute that I could use?
Also could I use brown sugar in place of the coconut/cane sugar?
You can make a homemade coconut yogurt with the recipe in Dairy-Free & Gluten-Free (ebook). In a pinch, I think applesauce might work as a sub.
Brown sugar may work, but white sugar is given as the alternative option.
Pingback: 100+ Vegan Recipes: From Sweet Cheesecakes to Savory Entrees
This looks delicious! I love Chai flavor but haven’t had it combined with chocolate before. Thanks for posting!