This recipe for chocolate cherry cordial tarts is an entry in our Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest, created and submitted by Nadine Mesch. To qualify, the recipe uses Culinary Coconut Milk from So Delicious Dairy Free.
Nadine says, “This is such a beautiful recipe, it is also very easy to make and can easily be made a day ahead. I made these delicate little cherry cordial tarts for my daughters baby shower just this April, everyone loved them.”
Special Diet Notes & Options: Chocolate Cherry Cordial Tarts
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Just be sure to choose your phyllo, chocolate chips, cream cheese alternative (yes, Daiya makes a soy-free option!), and almond extract (most almond extracts are actually nut-free!) to suit your diet.
For gluten-free and dairy-free chocolate cherry cordial tarts, gluten-free phyllo does exist. If you are unable to find it in stores, you can make your own with a recipe such as this one (using dairy-free milk alternative and margarine or oil).
- 2 packages frozen dairy-free mini phyllo shells (see note in post above for gluten-free option)
- 1¼ cups dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil (or neutral oil of choice)
- 2 (10-ounce) jars maraschino cherries with stems, drained, patted dry, divided
- 4 ounces dairy-free cream cheese alternative, room temperature
- ½ cup + ½ tablespoon powdered sugar, divided
- ½ teaspoon almond extract, divided
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk (like So Delicious Original Culinary Coconut Milk), chilled
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Place the phyllo shells on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 minutes; remove from oven and cool completely.
- In a double boiler place chocolate chips and oil; melt chocolate, stirring occasionally.
- Line another baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Take 30 of the cherries with stems intact and dip into the chocolate to cover the entire cherry.
- Place on parchment paper, allowing to dry completely. (This step can be done a day ahead.)
- Spoon the remaining chocolate into the tart shells. Allow to cool completely.
- Remove the stems from the remaining cherries that were not dipped in the chocolate.
- Chop the cherries finely and pat dry, again with paper towel.
- In a small size mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese substitute, ½ cup powdered sugar and ¼ teaspoon almond extract; beat until smooth.
- Stir in cherries.
- In a narrow bowl, place the coconut milk, ½ tablespoon powdered sugar and ¼ teaspoon almond extract. Beat on high until peaks form.
- Gently fold into cherry mixture.
- Dollop the filling into the prepared tart shells.
- Top each tart with a chocolate dipped cherry.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.