This Chocolate Chia Seed Smoothie recipe was originally shared with us by Natalie Melkowski. It was her official entry in a So Delicious Dairy Free Recipe Contest that we held many years ago. Today I’m re-sharing it with some slight modifications to make it friendly for all!
Natalie called her original recipe a “Chiconutty” Smoothie for short. However, I’ve added some nut-free options, and swapped out some product recommendations based on what’s readily available on the market today.
I love that this recipe has options for making it a Jamba Juice-style treat. Those smoothie shop chains often add ice cream or sherbet to get crave-worthy results, but that makes them off limits for us! This chocolate chia seed smoothie lets you make your own slightly indulgent shake, if you wish.
Special Diet Notes: Chocolate Chia Seed Smoothie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, optionally nut-free, optionally peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- ½ cup vanilla almond milk beverage or coconut milk beverage (for nut free)
- ¼ cup dairy-free vanilla creamer
- ½ medium banana
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chocolate dairy-free ice cream (optional)
- 1 scoop pea protein powder (optional)
- 1½ tablespoons creamy peanut butter, almond butter, or sunflower seed butter (for nut free)
- 1½ tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 cup ice
- Place the milk beverage, creamer, banana, ice cream (if using), protein powder (if using), nut or seed butter, cocoa powder, chia seeds, and agave nectar in your blender. Blend until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute.
- Add the ice, pulse the blender to break it up, and then blend until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate smoothie into a glass and enjoy!
More Chocolate Smoothie Recipes
Chocolate Almond Butter Cup Shake (vegan, gluten-free & optionally allergy-friendly)
“Melted Chocolate Ice Cream” Protein Smoothie (vegan, gluten-free & nut-free)
Eat Dirt Vegan Protein Shakes (vegan, gluten-free & allergy-friendly)
Lovely Natalie! I don’t recall the previous recipe, probably because I wasn’t a reader back then but I’ll be all over this tomorrow.
Pingback: 100+ Vegan Recipes: From Sweet Cheesecakes to Savory Entrees