For this month’s Kids Can Cook feature, Katherine and her mom, Sarah, are helping us celebrate the kick-off of this year’s 21 Day Dairy-Free Challenge with So Delicious. Snacks and treats are key with any special diet, so they whipped up their favorite version of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip for you to enjoy. And be sure to follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter! I’ll be sharing dairy-free, plant-based breakfast, lunch and dinner recipes from various recipe creators to inspire throughout the Challenge.
A few years ago while on vacation, my sister served us a chocolate chip cookie dough dip with a surprise ingredient: chickpeas. None of us could believe it! Now, of course, bean-based desserts are all the rage both online and off. We even found chickpea-based fudgesicles for sale at the Pennsylvania Farm Show!
I thought it was high time Go Dairy Free featured one of these recipes, so I began my search. Surprisingly (or maybe not) all roads led back to Chocolate Covered Katie’s healthy cookie dough dip recipe from 2011. Even a Bon Appetit article talking about healthy cookie dough dip simply ends with a link to her recipe! I texted my sister to see if Katie’s recipe was the chocolate chip cookie dough dip recipe she used, and sure enough, it was.
Of course, Katherine and I couldn’t help putting our own spin on it. We used So Delicious Vanilla Coconut Milk Beverage in place of plain milk beverage and vanilla extract, and fiddled with a few other favorite ingredients. We both love coconut sugar in baked goods, so we decided to try it in the dip and were happy with the results. Maybe with our success we can even convert Alisa to liking bean-based desserts!
The 21 Day Dairy-Free Challenge starts today and will run until February 12th. Sign up now for some great goodies. They’ll send you new coupons, dairy-free tips, a shopping list, snack guide, and more!
Special Diet Notes: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and optionally top food allergy-friendly.
- 1 can of chickpeas, rinsed, drained, and patted dry
- ¼ cup creamy almond butter or sunflower seed butter (for nut-free)
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup dairy-free vanilla milk beverage (we used So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage)
- 3 tablespoons rolled oats (certified gluten-free, if needed)
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon salt, to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup dairy-free mini chocolate chips
- Combine all of the ingredients except the chocolate chips in a food processor. If using a salty nut butter, use just ¼ teaspoon of salt. Process the ingredients until they are completely blended and smooth.
- Scrape the dip mixture into a bowl, and stir in the chocolate chips.
- Serve with graham crackers or fruit. Refrigerate any leftover dip.
Milk Beverage Note: If you only keep plain milk beverage on hand, simply add 2 teaspoons vanilla extract to the recipe.