Yes, you read that correctly … cookie dough “ice cream” sandwiches. If you’re like me then you would happily devour that bowl of dough before it ever hit the oven. So why not use it for making dairy-free novelties instead of crunchy cookies? That tender, sweet batter thickens enough to be hand-held, but melts deliciously into each frozen dessert-filled bite. Yes, it can get a little messy in hot hands, but it’s so worth it!
Of course, you can use your favorite vegan cookie dough to mix things up (if using a dairy-free dough with eggs, I recommend tempering the eggs in when you heat the fat and sugar), but if Tony is any judge, my version is pretty darn good. He ate an entire half test batch of the dough in one sitting (then proclaiming that he needed to hit the gym!), and still returned to the kitchen that night to enjoy a a finished one, frozen dessert and all. Needless to say, these cookie dough “ice cream” sandwiches didn’t last long …
This post is sponsored by So Delicious Dairy Free, but the idea, opinions and taste buds are all my own. I opted to call these cookie dough “ice cream” sandwiches for easy recognition of the recipe type, but note that since it is dairy-free, the filling is technically called “frozen dessert”.
Special Diet Notes: Cookie Dough “Ice Cream” Sandwiches
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian. Just be sure to choose the buttery spread, milk beverage, flour, chocolate chips and frozen dessert for these cookie dough “ice cream” sandwiches that meet your dietary needs.
For gluten-free and top allergen-free cookie dough “ice cream” sandwiches, I successfully tested this recipe with So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut products, Melt Buttery Spread, Enjoy Life Life Mini Chocolate Chips, Simply Organic Vanilla (I used the flavoring) and Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Oat Flour (this last one does have a nut & soy warning – use another for severe allergies).
- ½ cup dairy-free buttery spread
- ¼ cup firmly-packed brown sugar or coconut sugar
- ¼ cup organic sugar
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free milk beverage (I used So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla flavoring or extract
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour, white-wheat flour or gluten-free oat flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup dairy-free mini chocolate chips (or your desired amount)
- 1 to 2 pints So Delicious Dairy Free Vanilla Frozen Dessert (see Notes)
- Place the margarine, sugars and milk beverage in a saucepan and place over medium-low heat. Whisk and cook until the sugars are fully dissolved. Remove from the heat and whisk in the vanilla, followed by the flour and salt.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes, then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Chill the dough for 2 hours or longer in the refrigerator.
- Line a 4x8-inch to 8x8-inch pan with parchment (see Notes below). Evenly spread half of the dough on the bottom of the pan (return the rest to the refrigerator). Place it in the freezer. Remove the frozen dessert from the freezer and place it on the counter to soften - this may take 15 to 30 minutes, depending on which kind you use and your room temperature.
- Remove the cookie dough pan from the freezer and evenly spread on the frozen dessert. Return to the freezer and let chill 2 hours or longer.
- Evenly spread the remaining cookie dough on top of the frozen dessert, cover and chill until frozen solid, about 2 hours or longer.
- Using the parchment, remove the cookie dough / frozen dessert block from the pan and cut into bars. Individually wrap and freeze the bars until ready to consume.
Wow, these look so delicious! I can’t believe they are vegan, too!
These look so refreshing and delicious! I think I need one (or six). :o)
Well, at least two 🙂
Wow – these ice cream sandwiches look perfectly scrumptious and so wonderful on a hot summer day! Love these!
Wow. These look so delicious. Perfect for summer!
Thank you Melissa!
I am SO excited to try this recipe soon! It looks like something my whole family can enjoy. Going DF has been fairly easy for me, but I also can’t have eggs or bananas, which seem to still be in so many DF dessert recipes. Love this! Thank you!
Hi Marlynn, yes, all the gf and paleo desserts have eggs! Tons of vegan dessert options though 🙂 Glad it hasn’t been too challenging for you!
OMG this looks like the perfect bite, I need to try your recipe soon. Looks so easy, great for a birthday party =)
This looks beyond amazing, want! Definitely give these a try soon! 🙂
Thank you Florian!
What a great twist on the ice cream sandwich, these sound wonderful, perfect for these hot summer days we’re having!
Thank you Joy!
Such a crafty way to make these diary free! Very creative. And very, very tasty I’m sure 🙂 They look amazing!
Yes, hard to go wrong with cookie dough 🙂
Omg, these look sooo good! Going to make some of these tasty sandwiches today!
I hope you enjoy Kelley!
Those look beyond incredible, Alisa! If I had been there, I would have been fighting Tony for them!! No kidding. Can’t wait to share these on All Gluten-Free Desserts. 🙂
Thank you Shirley! You would definitely be fighting for those exact ones – all pictured are gluten-free 🙂
What a great idea! They look so yummy!
Thank you Marye!
I can’t even tell you the last time I had an ice cream sandwich! Total childhood made SAFE!
Time for an indulgence Rebecca 🙂
half the time when we have store bought cookie dough, it never gets made into cookies! I totally need to make some of these with my next batch of cookies…
Ooh, would love to know your favorite vegan cookie dough from the store Kristina 🙂
Healthy Cookie Dough? I am so there…my husband is absolutely obsessed!