Created by Cara Lyons of Cara’s Cravings, these cookie dough popsicles are vegan, naturally-sweetened with maple syrup and dates, and made with creamy (but low fat) unsweetened cashew milk beverage. We loved the ease of preparation, amazing taste, and how they bridged the seasons, providing the warm, earthy flavors of winter baking with a frosty summer treat – perfect for the warm transitional days of spring!
Special Diet Notes & Options: Cookie Dough Popsicles
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
Sweetening Notes: We didn’t have any lucuma powder on hand when testing. The cookie dough popsicles were sweet enough without, but we added 5 drops of vanilla stevia to seal the sweet deal. Better to err on the sweet side as desserts do taste less sweet once frozen. Also, our dates were very fresh and tender, so we were able to skip the soaking step without a problem.
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 2 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Vanilla Cashew Milk Beverage
- 2 tablespoons lucuma powder (optional; if omitting add more maple syrup or other sweetener to taste – see note in post above)*
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- Big pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon guar gum (optional, but improves creamy texture)*
- 4 tablespoons dairy-free mini chocolate chips
- Place dates in a heat proof bowl. Cover with boiling water and allow to stand for at least 30 minutes.
- Drain dates and add to a high-speed blender or food processor along with cashew milk. Begin blending, gradually increasing speed to high, and blending on high speed until completely smooth (or process until completely smooth in a food processor.) Add lucuma, maple syrup, and salt; blend well. Lastly, blend in guar gum. Pour mixture into popsicle molds, leaving a bit of space at the top.
- Add ½ tablespoon chocolate chips to each popsicle and stir in gently with popsicle stick. Once all popsicle sticks are in place, freeze for several hours until firm.
- To remove from mold, run under warm water.