Afternoon tea with soft and chewy cookies is my mid-day happy place. But recently, biscotti has moved in as another tea-time treat option. I shied away from biscotti recipes for years, as the double baking process sounded fussy. But really, they are one of the easiest, most forgiving, and easily dairy-free desserts. In fact, traditional Italian biscotti is usually made with oil, not butter. This Chocolate Chocolate Chip Biscotti is actually made with olive oil for the richest flavor.
This Chocolate Chocolate Chip Biscotti recipe with photo was shared with us by filippoberio.com.
Special Diet Notes: Chocolate Chocolate Chip Biscotti
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon extra light olive oil, divided
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- ⅓ cup unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Put the olive oil and sugar in a medium mixing bowl, and beat with a hand mixer until smooth and light. Add the eggs and egg yolk, one at a time, beating until smooth. Add the milk beverage and vinegar, and beat until smooth.
- With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the flour mixture, and beat just until the dough is combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 325ºF and grease two large baking sheets with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil (1/2 tablespoon each).
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and divide it into quarters. Roll each piece of dough into log, about 1½ inches in diameter. Place the logs on your prepared baking sheets, leaving space in between.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden and set. Remove the biscotti logs to a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 300ºF.
- Place a log on a cutting board and cut diagonally into ¾-inch wide slices with a serrated knife. Place the slices, cut-side down, on your prepared baking sheets. Repeat with the 3 remaining logs.
- Bake the chocolate biscotti for 15 to 18 minutes, or until toasted. Remove the biscotti to wire racks to cool completely and crisp up.