This recipe for chocolate dairy-free whoopie pies is an entry in our Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest, created and submitted by Heather Keach of Heather’s Bakery. To qualify, the recipe includes Coconut Milk Beverage by So Delicious Dairy Free.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: www.godairyfree.org/news/spring-fling-dairy-free-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Chocolate Dairy-Free Whoopie Pies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, tree nut-free, optionally soy-free, and vegetarian. Just be sure to choose your shortening wisely, as many brands do use vegetable oil made from soy.
- 2 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Original Coconut Milk Beverage
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups flour
- 10 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2½ teaspoons baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1½ cups vegetable or palm shortening (preferably non-hydrogenated)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons So Delicious Dairy Free Original Coconut Milk Beverage
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- For the whoopie pies, mix coconut milk beverage, sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt, and mix until smooth, but do not over beat.
- Scoop dough onto prepared baking sheets and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the cookie tops spring back. Let cool completely.
- For the filling, beat all ingredients together in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. If needed, add water while beating to achieve desired consistency.
- Fill cooled whoopie pie cookies.