Let’s face it, consciously or subconsciously, we’re all thinking about getting healthier when the new year hits. But that doesn’t mean we want to completely sacrifice the sweet side of life. Recipes like these chocolate hazelnut energy bars are a good compromise – sweetened just enough, spiked with a little chocolate (a must!), made with whole grains, and loaded with “heart-healthy” nuts.
These chocolate hazelnut energy bars have a Nutella-like vibe but without dairy and with a more natural ingredient list. They also have a nice chewy finish, thanks to the blend of the dates, hazelnut butter and oats. The bars are portable for lunch boxes and post-gym eats as they will keep during the day at room temperature, but are best stored in the refrigerator or freezer.
This chocolate hazelnut energy bars recipe with photo was shared with us by hazelnutsfromturkey.com.
Special Diet Notes: Chocolate Hazelnut Energy Bars
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian. To keep these chocolate hazelnut energy bars strictly soy-free, be sure to use top allergen-free chocolate chips, such as Enjoy Life.
- Place the dates in your food processor and process until they begin to come together into a ball. Add the cocoa powder and salt and process to combine.
- In a small saucepan or in the microwave, heat the hazelnut butter and honey together until warm. Pour into the food processor, and pulse until all is well mixed.
- Transfer the mixture to a lightly greased and foil-lined 9x9-inch pan. Using a spatula, pack the mixture and even it out.
- Freeze to set for 15 minutes.
- Lift the mixture out, peel off the foil and cut into 15 bars. Store in an airtight container or bag in the refrigerator to keep fresh, or in the freezer for longer term storage.