Sometimes the simplest treats are the best, don’t you think? Graham squares slathered with a thick layer of peanut butter filling and dipped in rich semi-sweet or dark chocolate … heaven, pure peanut butter cup heaven. And the formula is so basic that there are more words in the title, chocolate peanut butter cup graham bars (6 words), than there are ingredients in the recipe (just 5!).
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Graham Bars for the Holidays
It all started with those enticing impulse items they put right in front of the register at Starbucks. While out holiday shopping, often in snowy weather, I can’t help but crave a tall hot tea. And every time I approach that counter, I pick up the dark chocolate-covered grahams to read the ingredients. I know that they contain milk (I’ve practically memorized the ingredients at this point!), but subconsciously I’m hoping that they’ve magically transformed into a dairy-free delight.
Finally, I decided to stop wishing and start dipping. But why stop with grahams? I merged the legendary peanut butter cup concept with those chocolate-covered grahams for a phenomenal treat that still contains just five little ingredients.
But wait! If you are up for a sixth ingredient, and love contrast of salted chocolate (who doesn’t?), then … you know where I’m going with this don’t you? … make them Salted Peanut Butter Cup Grahams! Sprinkle the finished product with a little coarse salt before the chocolate sets up.
Special Diet Notes: Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Graham Bars
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, tree nut-free, optionally peanut-free, optionally soy-free, optionally vegan, and vegetarian. Just be sure to choose your graham crackers wisely. Some contain honey (non-vegan), soy, gluten, or other ingredients you might be trying to avoid. Some also contain dairy, but most brands are dairy-free.
- 1 cup dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- ½ cup lightly-salted peanut butter or sunflower seed butter (for nut-free)
- ¼ cup sifted organic powdered sugar
- 4 dairy-free graham crackers, broken into quarters (on the perforations; use gluten-free, if needed)
- In a medium bowl, melt the chocolate and oil together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the peanut butter and sugar until well combined. It should become a bit thick and frosting-like.
- Spread a thick layer of the peanut butter mixture on each graham, right to the edges.
- Dunk the peanut butter grahams in the melted chocolate to coat. You can either dip them entirely, or just do a quick dip of the peanut butter-covered side. Place the chocolate-covered grahams, peanut butter side up, onto a sheet lined with wax paper, parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Let the bars dry and solidify on the counter (will take a while!) or place them in the refrigerator or freezer to chill until set.