This chocolate pistachio coffee cake is a little different from the norm. It’s yeast-based and a little bit like a cinnamon roll loaf. The recipe was shared with us by the American Pistachio Growers along with recipes for Tex Mex Pitas (Vegetarian and Chicken options!) and Pistachio Fig Bites.
Special Diet Notes: Chocolate Pistachio Coffee Cake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, and vegetarian.
For an egg-free and vegan chocolate pistachio coffee cake, I recommend using 1/3 cup avocado puree in place of the eggs. Then add extra milk beverage, as needed, a teaspoon at a time when bringing the dough together. In recipes like this, the eggs are used more for consistency rather than rising, so you want to use ingredients that help to enrich the texture, like avocado. Pumpkin puree should also work.
- 3 to 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package quick rising yeast (2¼ teaspoons)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup dairy-free buttery spread or sticks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup California pistachios, chopped
- ½ cup dairy-free vanilla cookie crumbs
- ½ cup dairy-free buttery spread or sticks, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ⅓ cup water
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons California pistachios, finely chopped
- In a mixing bowl, combine 1½ cups of the flour with the yeast and salt in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, heat the milk beverage, water, sugar and butter to 120ºF. Whisk in the vanilla.
- With your mixer on low speed, beat the liquid mixture into the flour mix. Add the eggs and mix for 3 minutes at medium speed.
- Gradually stir in enough of the remaining flour by hand to form soft dough. Knead on a floured surface about 5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 20 minutes.
- While the dough rises, stir all of the filling ingredients together in a medium bowl, until thoroughly combined.
- Punch the dough down and let rest for a few minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 15x10-inch rectangle.
- Spread the Chocolate Pistachio Filling on the dough to within 1 inch of one long edge.
- Roll it up jellyroll fashion, starting from the long side with the filling spread to the edge. Pinch to seal the edge closed.
- Place the coffee cake on a greased baking sheet; and slash the top at 2-inch intervals to within 1 inch from center. Twist each section slightly.
- Cover and let rise for 20 minutes. Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the roll makes a hollow sound when tapped on the bottom.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the chocolate pistachio coffee cake cools, add the corn syrup, water, and cinnamon to a small pan. Bring to a bubble, then reduce heat to low and simmer until reduced to ½ cup.
- Brush the cooled coffee cake with the glaze and sprinkle with finely chopped pistachios for garnish.