I love nut butter. No, I don’t shovel it by the spoonful into my mouth (I know some of you do, though!), but I do use a tablespoon or two almost every day to enjoy some healthy, creamy indulgence. From peanut butter to homemade cashew or pecan buttter, I love them all, and have quite the arsenal of nutty recipes. But in terms of creating a cookbook on the topic, my friend Robin Robertson beat me to the punch with Nut Butter Universe.
Nut Butter Universe, is an enticing collection of decadent, nut-filled goodies (both sweet and savory), yet every bite is dairy-free and vegan. As a sample, Robin is sharing this gorgeous vegan peanut butter pie recipe with us. But it’s not just any old vegan peanut butter pie … this is a no bake, freezer pie with a rich chocolate cookie crust, garnished with chocolate curls and an extra dose of peanut-goodness.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Peanut Butter Pie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally soy-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian.
For a gluten-free vegan peanut butter pie, simply use gluten-free chocolate cookie crumbs, such as ones made from Enjoy Life Crunchy Chocolate Cookies (they’re top allergen-free).
For a soy-free vegan peanut butter pie use a soy-free, dairy-free margarine (Earth Balance offers a couple), select your favorite soy-free ice cream (cashew, coconut, rice or almond), keep an eye on the cookies you use (those Enjoy Life ones are soy-free), and pick a soy-free chocolate, such as Enjoy Life.
For a nut-free vegan sunbutter pie, use a rice- or coconut-based ice cream, sunflower seed butter in place of the peanut butter, and omit the peanuts.
- 1-1/2 cups vegan chocolate cookie crumbs (such as Midel Chocolate Snaps)
- ¼ cup dairy-free margarine, melted
- 1 quart vegan vanilla ice cream, softened
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup chopped peanuts
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate curls
- Lightly coat a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cookie crumbs and the butter until well blended. Transfer to the prepared pan and press the crumb mixture onto the bottom and sides. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the ice cream with the peanut butter, mixing until well blended.
- Spoon into the prepared crust.
- Freeze for 4 to 6 hours or overnight.
- Let the pie sit at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chopped peanuts in the center of the pie and the chocolate curls along the outer edge.