This show-stopping Cinnamon Roll Ice Cream Cake recipe was the Grand Prize Winner in the Cashew category of our #FrozenFridays Recipe Contest. The event was sponsored by So Delicious Dairy Free and hosted by us, Go Dairy Free. But this winning submission was created by Chrystal Carver.
Chrystal is the recipe developer and writer behind Gluten-Free Palate. She comes from a family with a history of cooking and baking, and has been an avid baker since she was little. She believes that baking gluten-free and dairy-free shouldn’t require extravagant ingredients or complicated steps. You can connect with Chrystal on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
You can also enjoy Chrystal’s cookbook, Sweet & Simple Gluten-Free Baking: Irresistible Classics in 10 Ingredients or Less! It isn’t a dairy-free cookbook, but the recipes are very easy to adapt with dairy-free ingredients, like milk beverage and buttery spread or sticks.
Our Testing Notes: Cinnamon Roll Ice Cream Cake
We all agreed that this recipe had winning potential for its creativity and well-written recipe structure. But it was the preparation and tasting that led to the Grand Prize Award. Our tester said:
This cake!! It’s so good! The cake really does taste like a cinnamon roll and has a lovely moist cakey texture. The cinnamon mixture that gets swirled into the top of the cake got a little crispy when baked, which was really delicious and a nice bit of texture. I expected it to be over the top sweet, especially with the glaze, but the cake itself actually wasn’t too sweet so it was a nice balance.
Special Diet Notes: Cinnamon Roll Ice Cream Cake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1½ cups all-purpose gluten-free flour blend
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsweetened or unsweetened vanilla dairy-free milk beverage (Chrystal used So Delicious Cashewmilk)
- ¼ cup + ¼ cup dairy-free buttery spread or sticks, melted and divided
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water, mixed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 pints So Delicious Snickerdoodle CashewMilk Non-dairy Frozen Dessert
- 1 cup powdered confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened or unsweetened vanilla dairy-free milk beverage (Chrystal used So Delicious Cashewmilk)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Optional Topping Ingredients: So Delicious CocoWhip, gluten-free vegan snickerdoodle cookies
- To make the cake, preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease an 8-inch round cake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the milk beverage, flax egg, ¼ cup melted buttery spread, and vanilla and stir until combined.
- Pour batter into your prepared baking pan.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the remaining ¼ cup melted buttery spread, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Spoon the cinnamon mixture over the cake. Use a butter knife to swirl it into the cake batter.
- Bake for 26 to 28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for 10 minutes in the pan, before carefully removing it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Remove the frozen dessert from the freezer to let it soften.
- To make the ice cream cake, place the completely cooled cake in a 7-inch round springform pan (the cake shrinks a little as it cools) to help keep the ice cream from melting down the sides.
- Spoon the frozen dessert onto the cake and spread until it is even and compact.
- Freeze for 2 hours, or until ready to serve.
- Remove the ice cream cake from the freezer 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk beverage, and cinnamon until smooth.
- Drizzle the cinnamon icing over top of the cake.
- If desired, top with CocoWhip and gluten-free vegan snickerdoodles.
- Store leftovers covered in the freezer for up to one month.